- A state of mind wherein things are weighed in an imponderable scale; a conjunction of two negatives in a void.
- To be wanting in foolishness, character or brains.
- An exquisite and delicate perception of the difference between two things that are exactly alike, or the total unlikeness between two things that are absolutely different.
- An umbrella to be carried on clear days as well as on rainy ones, thus protecting the possessor from everything.
- To lie flat on your puss while the juggernaut of Opinion goes over you; to stand perfectly still between two streetcars going in opposite directions.
- To see what's coming and avoid it by taking all sides.